I've been reading James a lot recently, and for the last few years it's been one of my favorite books. I had picked out verse 4:7 as the most inspiring and important verses in the Bible for me.
7 Submit yourselves, therefore, to God.
Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.
There are many other verses that mean a lot to me, and of course this only shows one aspect of how our walk should be, but it continually comes back to me. Whenever I feel overtaken, defeated, or tempted to ignore God, this verse comes to mind and haunts me to remember what I must do. At the same time, it's incredibly encouraging - If I resist the guiles and enticement of this world, they will pass and be defeated!
Nothing is too strong for me when I stand in the name of Christ. In that sense, the verse to follow fits perfectly:
8 Draw near to God,
and He will draw near to you.
By submitting to God and his will and resisting our sinful desires, we can draw near to Him, and be more completely filled with the love of Christ. This is something I deeply long for, and it helps so much to have these verses as a reminder of what's been promised to us if we will only be silent and submissive to this Great Love.
About the Blog.
Submit to the Voice of Truth that rings loudly in your ears.
Resist the deceptive call of this world -- it brings sorrow alone.
Named after James 4:7, this blog is a small catalogue of my interactions with scripture and spirit - the verses written long ago which hold unending revelations and the greatest honesty I've ever known. These histories, songs, and gospels speak of love, doubt, hope, fear, faith, despair, and salvation. This ever-present Living Word is my heartbeat.
I'm slowly learning to listen -- to submit and resist.
Resist the deceptive call of this world -- it brings sorrow alone.
Named after James 4:7, this blog is a small catalogue of my interactions with scripture and spirit - the verses written long ago which hold unending revelations and the greatest honesty I've ever known. These histories, songs, and gospels speak of love, doubt, hope, fear, faith, despair, and salvation. This ever-present Living Word is my heartbeat.
I'm slowly learning to listen -- to submit and resist.
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment