Here I sit on the couch of what I've dubbed "The Party" -- the house inhabited by my friends Kenley, Andrew, Dan, and Clark. I got up bright and early to take my first Rec Tech test of the summer and aced it, and then came here to catch 40 winks and hang out before my 11:45 Speech class.
Most of the other guys are asleep or out, so I'm in the living room typing this while Andrew Hill ("Where you at?") shares the den with me in thoughtful peace. It's still fairly early, and there's lots to do today: class, food, music, time with friends, maybe even some swimming or a workout at the Beaman. We'll see what I end up doing.
Anyway, most mornings I've been using the drive from ym house to campus as a time of meditation and prayer, almost always accompanied by the voice of Cash reading me the New Testament. I finished Matthew the other day, so I'm well into Mark, and it's incredible. Hearing the story of Christ's life told straight through in the poetic language of the New King James translation, read by one of my greatest heroes, has truly given me a deeper grasp of the Word of God.
It occurred to me that these days, it's easy to disregard the literary aspects of Scripture. If you're from a religious background, you may take offense at the Bible being perceived as "just some story," and may choose to view it as a personal rulebook of sorts. This is misled thinking. The books of the Old and New Testament are certainly not a man-made folklore or fable, but neither are they limited to being (as one cringe-worthy athletically-themed Bible was titled) "God's Gameplan".
I've begun to see the thematic, poetic, and literary beauty of the Gospel.
About the Blog.
Submit to the Voice of Truth that rings loudly in your ears.
Resist the deceptive call of this world -- it brings sorrow alone.
Named after James 4:7, this blog is a small catalogue of my interactions with scripture and spirit - the verses written long ago which hold unending revelations and the greatest honesty I've ever known. These histories, songs, and gospels speak of love, doubt, hope, fear, faith, despair, and salvation. This ever-present Living Word is my heartbeat.
I'm slowly learning to listen -- to submit and resist.
Resist the deceptive call of this world -- it brings sorrow alone.
Named after James 4:7, this blog is a small catalogue of my interactions with scripture and spirit - the verses written long ago which hold unending revelations and the greatest honesty I've ever known. These histories, songs, and gospels speak of love, doubt, hope, fear, faith, despair, and salvation. This ever-present Living Word is my heartbeat.
I'm slowly learning to listen -- to submit and resist.
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rob!
Where did you find Johnny Cash's reading of the Gospels??
-Jonathan Smith
Post a Comment