About the Blog.

Submit to the Voice of Truth that rings loudly in your ears.

Resist the deceptive call of this world -- it brings sorrow alone.

Named after James 4:7, this blog is a small catalogue of my interactions with scripture and spirit - the verses written long ago which hold unending revelations and the greatest honesty I've ever known. These histories, songs, and gospels speak of love, doubt, hope, fear, faith, despair, and salvation. This ever-present Living Word is my heartbeat.

I'm slowly learning to listen -- to submit and resist.


Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Beautiful Snowy Day: Psalm 92

There's about 5 inches of snow on there ground. I'm at my house in Brentwood, here to work in the studio and be with my family. My brother and many of his friends are having a great time right now sledding down our big hill -- I'm definitely joining them soon.

It looks beautiful outside, as if the entire world were covered with giant white pillows. I have a strong fondness for snow, especially since we rarely see it here. It makes me feel comforted, happy, and filled with a childlike excitement. I remember drinking hot cocoa and celebrating school cancellations (too bad this snow didn't come a few days earlier to cancel a class or two at Belmont!), and going sledding all day.

In thinking about the beauty of the snow, I wanted to find something from scripture that matched how I felt. I've felt very inspired by the Psalms lately, and their poetic style seemed to fit, so I looked through them until I found one that said a lot of what I'm feeling today. It's also quite fitting for today, because it is indeed the original Sabbath day, and the recurring theme of music coincides with my work here in the studio.

Psalm 92

A psalm. A song. For the Sabbath day.
1 It is good to praise the LORD
and make music to your name, O Most High,

2 to proclaim your love in the morning
and your faithfulness at night,

3 to the music of the ten-stringed lyre
and the melody of the harp.

4 For you make me glad by your deeds, O LORD;
I sing for joy at the works of your hands.

5 How great are your works, O LORD,
how profound your thoughts!

6 The senseless man does not know,
fools do not understand,

7 that though the wicked spring up like grass
and all evildoers flourish,
they will be forever destroyed.

8 But you, O LORD, are exalted forever.

9 For surely your enemies, O LORD,
surely your enemies will perish;
all evildoers will be scattered.

10 You have exalted my horn like that of a wild ox;
fine oils have been poured upon me.

11 My eyes have seen the defeat of my adversaries;
my ears have heard the rout of my wicked foes.

12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,
they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;

13 planted in the house of the LORD,
they will flourish in the courts of our God.

14 They will still bear fruit in old age,
they will stay fresh and green,

15 proclaiming, "The LORD is upright;
he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him."


Truly, our Lord is worthy of the highest praise we can give. His power, beauty, and wisdom are beyond compare or comprehension. I will sing for joy at the wonderful things he has done for me, and in admiration at the works of His hands.

No comments: